On my birthday this year:
1. Sam was exactly 3 weeks old.
2. Madeline rode the bus home from school. She is 3 years old. She is braver than her mother.
3. I had "Billie Jean" stuck in my head.
4. Dan and I treated ourselves to sandwiches from the store across the street. You wouldn't know it was open if you weren't local - in fact you wouldn't know it wasn't condemned. There is a very large man who sits inside watching Jerry Springer on a tiny TV behind the counter, waiting for customers. And let me tell you - he makes an AWESOME sandwich. Wonderbread, iceburg lettuce, huge juicy tomatoes, cajun smoked turkey, mayo, mustard, salt & pepper, pickles, onions, etc. Reminiscent of elementary school brown paper bag lunches, only for grown ups.
5. I resumed my braille homework, which I haven't done since the middle of July. Oops.
6. We went out as a family. I told Madeline that her vote would be considered - then she voted for Chuckie Cheese. 'Twas my birthday and I said with authority - "VETO!"
7. I received so many well wishes and kind words that I got a little bit emotional.
8. I wore white pants. Bam.
9. My Grandpa Canfield (with whom I share a birthday) called and sang to me on my voicemail. He called me "Mama Kate" and asked about Sam, one of his 34 great grandchildren. I turned 26, he turned 90.
10. I didn't eat any dessert all day. BELIEVE ME when I say that will be remedied this weekend.
...seriously, who wants to take me out for dessert?